Dreamer ... Tiffani May + 3 Savvy Sisters Thursday, March 1



This weeks "Dreamer" is my friend Tiffani May. She is a busy homeschooling mom to 3 boys!  Ok that is enough for me but not Tiffani, she is also the owner of one of Georgia's top consignment sale shops.  Before her boys came along she was doing one of my many dream jobs, fashion merchandising in LA!  She has been to NY Fashion week too which is on my bucket list!  Ok ok I will let her talk now...



I remember meeting Ahndea and Nate May years ago when we all worked for Dr. John C. Maxwell in Atlanta, GA.  I felt an instant connection to them… Why? Because we share the same last name!  We just HAVE to be related right?!  Since those years ago these two May families have had kids and of course Ahndea and Nate are now in Illinois with their 5 beautiful kids!  My husband, Tony, and I got married in 1995 out in California where we were raised.  I went to the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM) in Los Angeles so that I could become a Buyer and someday own a retail boutique.  I had been working in retail since I was 15 and loved it. After I graduated from FIDM I became a Buyer for a small 17 store boutique chain in LA and adored shopping in the Mart and flying to NY for Fashion Week.  

Fast forward MANY years….. In 2002, we had our first son David.  2004, we had our second son Christian. 2006, we had - you guessed it – another son Tyler!  How could someone SO GIRLY as me have 3 boys??  But God knows best and I adore them with all I am!  Plus, I’m still Queen of the May house!  I never ever envisioned homeschooling, but God seems to have a sense of humor and often pushes us outside of our comfort zone.  I’m sure thankful He did because I really love it and so do the boys.  Don’t get me wrong, there are days when I am about ready to put them on the next bus that rolls by, but I am thankful that God’s mercy is new every moment – even every other minute some days!  Although right now I feel that my calling is to homeschooling them, I was still missing that other part of me that loves fashion and retail sales.  Even while working in retail, I have always been drawn to consignment.  I love the thought of getting that name brand at a steal – what a high that is for me! So when I got pregnant with my first son I started shopping at the many seasonal consignment sales out here in Georgia.   I always thought to myself “I could run one of these things”, but I didn’t really know how that would logically happen.  

3 Savvy Sisters

God again in His perfect humor and timing, put an opportunity in front of me to purchase a sale from another owner who was wanting to get out of the business. Tony and I were really excited and took a leap of faith and I opened 3 Savvy Sisters.  We had our first kid’s sale in spring 2010.  Within a week of our first sale being over I was thinking how it wasn’t fair that my kids always looked so cute in their Ralph Lauren, Gymboree, Gap, etc… (all consignment prices of course!)  and how I had on clothes that I quickly grabbed from Target on a quick trip in for toilet paper or hand me downs from my sisters and mom.  See, I was a mom of 3 little boys and there was no time for ME.  Well, I took action and within a month of that first spring kids sale I had my first spring ADULT sale!  It was awesome!!  Finally cute things for US!  J. Crew, Gap, Loft, Anthropologie, Seven, Coach, and other designers at prices starting as low as $2!  The 
 Adult sale carries womens, mens and teens clothing, shoes and accessories, home goods and children’s toys.  Our next one is actually coming up next week March 7-10.  We have 2 sales in the spring for kids and adults and 2 sales in the fall for kids and adults.  We consistently fill up over 4,000 square feet bursting at the seams with 20,000+ items. The seller enters their items into our user-friendly tagging system and receives 70% of the sold price.  Our sales only last for 1 week, so we rent spaces four times a year.  It has been a blessing to me to see the impact of moms selling their children’s name brand, gently worn clothes to help pay for the next season’s wardrobes, sports teams, vacation spending money, etc… It’s very empowering to be able to make some extra money selling the things you already have – great stewardship for the family! Life is busy, but I am so very thankful that I get to do things that I am passionate about – homeschooling my kids and owning a business that is fashion related.  I could not do all that I do without the help of dear friends, family and my biggest support, Tony.  Life has certainly had its bumps, but clinging to God is right where it’s at.  He will never leave you or forsake you and knows the big picture for your life.  You can trust that!  

Your Savvy Sister, Tiffani May


How awesome!  I wish I lived in GA, I would be scooping up all kinds of goodies for my 5!  Congratulations Tiffani for making it happen. I am so inspired.  

Take a peak at her website 3 Savvy Sisters

0 comments:

Post a Comment