What's For Dinner - My Chicken Noodle Soup + Healing Chicken Stock Sunday, March 4


Hi! My name is Ahndea May , a busy mom of 5 littles, including 1 year old twin girls, a Fit Mom's For Life and whole health advocate, and a million things in between, while trying to laugh as much as possible, create memories with my family, and continue to learn and dream while navigating everyday challenges. I hope to bring you some encouragement, tips, motivation and hopefully cheer, through my spattering of writings documenting this ride we call life! And of course it starts with food! My favorite thing! On these brisk winter days my family loves the warmth of soup! Chicken noodle is certainly at the top of the list.  Chicken broth or stock is one of the most healthy things you can eat.  In fact, it's known to build immunity and we certainly need that during flu season!  Now, I am a busy mom and appreciate the convenience of just grabbing the best looking picture on a can of soup at the store and still do it, but it would take a dictionary with words like "disodium guanylate" to know what your actually eating. Making homemade stock is super easy and the health benefits are worth it.  Sally Fallon writes in Broth is Beautiful "Good broth can resurrect the dead"  she tells us it is a cure-all in traditional households, a healer to sore throats and to the soul.


 I have come up with a super easy recipe for natural Chicken Noodle Soup and Chicken Stock.  You can make the soup with or without noodles.  After cooking you can freeze any unused stock for future recipes, or even if they don't, you can add it to your potatoes or use it to cook chicken, veggies etc. 

If you don't have a slow cooker I recommend getting one immediately!  It is such an essential item in our home and saves me tons of time. I can put any meat I want to make in the morning and by 4pm I have a wonderful base to work from. Makes my life much easier with 5 littles.


1 whole chicken - organic is best especially for the quality of stock
1 bag of carrots or chopped long carrots
1 large white onion
1 bag small celery stalks
A bunch of fresh dill chopped
A bunch of fresh parsley chopped
2 tbs of apple cider vinegar
Sea Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
8 cups of water or more enough to cover your chicken and veggies
*Egg noodles can be prepared and added to the slow cooker an hour before serving
*you can add a few slices of fresh lemon if you like citrus
*you can also split the water with organic chicken broth for added flavor 

Cook on low all day at least 8 hours.  Slowly cooking will get the best quality and nutrient filled stock. 
Once cooked remove the whole chicken with tongs and set into a baking dish.  The meat will practically fall right off the bone. I use the tongs to gently pull off all the meat and then place back into the soup.  If you are just making stock, you now have delicious chicken that can be used for sandwiches, wraps, salad etc. Once the chicken is added back into the soup, I then make the egg noodles separately and add those to the soup as well.  It tastes best if you let all of these marry together for another hour before serving.  

 





I am a huge bread fan, especially the dense grainy kind from Great Harvest Bread Co.  I also made a little butter spread with unsalted butter, parmesan cheese, garlic powder and sea salt.  This was a very yummy addition to our soup for sure!

2 comments:

Welcome to the Laundromat :

Great pixs Ahndea! Love this healthy version of chicken noodle soup. Pinning it :)

Unknown :

Now that I have a mac I can finally take pics with my nice camera instead of my phone! Getting with the times is slow moving .... I still don't have an ipod and they have been out for years! :)

Post a Comment