Celebrating Mothers Day - Self Care Thursday, May 9

Mothers Day Week - Self Care
As I think about motherhood and the many different layers to it, I thought I would share the single most important bit of information I have gleaned along the way, so far! I have found myself on many occasions, exhausted, overwhelmed, emotionally drained, almost like everything is moving and I just can't keep up, oh and did I mention exhausted! I can imagine we have all been there a time or 2. In the middle of one of these not so happy days, I was asked the question "how's your self care?" I had to pause for a minute because I wasn't quite sure what that meant or even if it was appropriate!??? Ha! Is there really time for self when you have so many others that are more important.  And would that be considered selfish? As we began to talk through what "self care" actually meant, it became more and more clear why I was feeling so grumpy and short with the kids. Carving out time to make sure I was healthy and cared for wasn't at the top of the priority list. And kind of funny that when you actually think about it... it does make sense that the one doing the giving and nurturing would be healthy and cared for, right?

So how do we care for ourselves? I am a visual person and wanted to create a little story board of all the little things I do as a mom to help me care for myself as I care for the kids. First... I find it very important to have a motto or creed for the family to live by. The marching orders for when attitudes arise and things get tough. You can pretty much take everything back to love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. When trouble comes up, we have a positive perspective to guide us every time. Next, provide lots of time with nature! Believe it or not this is proven to be a natural healer and mood enhancer!  Just being outside enjoying the beauty of the earth and for me, exploring! My kids love animals, frogs, ponds, anything and anywhere they can bring a net and catch something! I can enjoy these moments just as much as the kids. If I'm lucky I may have a few min to read "Parenting with Love and Logic"a detailed manual filled with golden nuggets of wisdom, a must have book about teaching your children to take responsibility!

Self care also includes time away from your kids. A break! I like to work out consistently. Enjoy a date night or fun girls night. Oh and I think bubble baths give me the same affect as a sleeping pill! Relax your muscles and your mind and then off to bed!

Notice yourself feeling anxious or stressed? Getting quick tempered and not sure why? Ask yourself if you are allowing time to be healthy, are you eating well, working out? Time to be in community, have you met a friend for lunch lately?, Find time for love, are you investing into your relationship? And are you allowing for the things you are passionate about, creativity, writing, singing etc.

What are some things you do that bring relaxation?








0 comments:

Post a Comment