a few things I'm learning Tuesday, July 2


Do you ever wonder where your path is leading, if the steps your taking are the "right" ones and will eventually bring you to the place you are "supposed" to be?  Are you second guessing your decisions, lost in to many decisions or just can't make decisions? I often struggle with the plan. Understanding the push and pull, relax and drive, concerted effort to natural destiny! I was able to spend some alone time a few weeks ago, thinking, praying, reading and just being. I joined the Mr. on a business trip to Utah and am so thankful I did. I truly wasn't expecting much, just alone time in a hotel room with silence. As mothers you know how much planning it takes to actually get away and by the time we shuffled around 5 kids packing their bags, toys, pack n plays, car seats, electronics and then typing up the big kids daily game schedules etc, a recovery day was essential. As we pulled up to this view, I knew there was a plan for this trip! 


Nature is simply the best healer, the sun, the crisp air, beautiful landscape and peace. I have been struggling this summer with the balance of being full time mom to 3 active kids out of school and twin toddlers with an entirely different set of needs. In addition to my business which continues to grow and bring opportunity and then just life, issues, relationships, hurts, and unresolved emotions. Is there a way to bring focus on personal growth and my relationship with my husband and friends etc. which tends to take a back seat to the immediate needs with the kids?  Not sure we will have have this perfectly nailed down, but I did get some clarity on long hike up this mountain. The trail started very narrow and steep, much harder than I was expecting. I focused on keeping a steady rhythm even with my breathing. The Utah air, is crystal clear with no humidity but with the elevation change, you can almost loose your breath and feel much more winded than normal. I trudged on as the path became dark from the thousands of trees surrounding me. There were times the path was rocky and difficult, even dangerous. And then the path would open as you winded up and around the mountain.



After what felt like hours, I finally made it to the last mile of the hike. I could tell quickly this would be the most difficult part, as the trail was no longer in the woods but on the side of a mountain so high the temp had now dropped and there was snow on the mountain sides. I honestly thought it would never end. The wind was intense enough to make you loose your footing.  Fear snuck up on me as I neared the top and wondered how I would ever make it down. Should I turn around now? I don't really need to get to the top, right? Still I continued and as I made the last turn a glimpse of relief came over me as I noticed someone else and not just someone else, something else... a chair lift! After making it all the way up, I was able to ride all the way back down and rest my legs to this scene.  As I soaked in the serene beauty of the Utah mountains, I was reminded of how my life journey parallels the hike. Sometimes your alone and the view isn't clear and maybe the road gets rough with trials and hardship. There are times to dig in and endure the struggle and usually things peak before breaking way to peace. But the sweetest reminder was after all the hard work and consistency and perseverance, there was hope, a ride down, a lift of help to bring me comfort and time to rest. Sound familiar? Be encouraged today... perseverance is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute assurance and certainty that what we are looking for is going to happen - Oswald Chambers 

Romans 5:3 we can exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance, and perseverance proven character, and proven character... hope 



1 comments:

Jason Yarborough :

This is so great, Ahndea! I needed to read this, this morning. Makes me want to get out, get away, retreat from the pressures of life, and spend time with God and myself in the wilderness. Every time I'm able to retract from life, whether it be in the mountains or at the coast for an extended period of time, i'm always better for it. Always a clearer mind, heart, and life. Utah looks serene, the perfect place to get away. So glad you got to get away with Nate and have this experience. Love you guys and miss you fiercely.

Post a Comment