Details Details - Blogging Monday, April 29



I have recently been doing some research on blogging from some of the top leadership guru's. Well...one of my very brilliant friends is filling my inbox with the research from some of the top leadership guru's! The how to's when owning a business in conjunction with a blog. I have to admit, I love blogging when I have time... which quite frankly, I don't have much of these days. With my twin toddlers running the house and all the sporting events with the other 3... most of my time is spent in the shop designing and packaging orders, replying to emails, updating photos, creating promos and of course blogging. 

So as my friend and I were on a recent weekend trip spilling my frustrations and uncertainties as to how to tie everything together, my business, my branding, my blog, all while reflecting who I am best, she simply blurted out with no hesitations... "you need to keep things simple, blog less, be more specific, create constancy for your followers and keep the blog focused on your business not your life." Ok! So I guess I could have paid hundreds to go to a blogging conference to learn that, but again time of is of the essence and when you pray for direction and clarity, it can often come in the least expected ways! Now, what does that mean?  Well, lucky for me, within days she had already emailed me a video from renowned leadership author and speaker Michael Hyatt, who recently posted "The 3 blogging Mistakes Killing Your Traffic." I am a huge fan of leadership and the principals behind that type of business model. I learned so much working for John Maxwell and he is still one of my favorites. 

In Michael's video, he shares the 3 things killing your traffic. I was honestly surprised by what he said, as everything I have read and heard up till now has suggested the more blogging the better and to create the traffic you need for a successful business you need to be in front of your customers every day. The video is literally 3 min so make sure to watch it. 

1. Be predictable - often enough to build up a rhythm, shoot for 3 times a week, and be consistent. If you can't do 3 times, start with 1 good post a week and then build up to 3. 

2. Don't overpost - why post 5 times a week if posting 3 provides the same amount of traffic. This allows you to devote those 2 extra days to the business. It also keeps your content fresh. 

3. Keep your posts to 500 words - people who are blog followers don't want to read a manifesto, they want to stop in, see what you have to say, digest and move on. 

So here are my take aways for Style Story Blog! 

1. Goal - Post 3 times a week 

2. Keep the weekly posts consistent and somewhat predictable. My goal, to keep the three posts under these sub headers - 

Details Details - behind the scenes of photo shoots, details of styling, and tips on how the details matter.

You Pick 3 - Giving you creative and smart style boards, where by just adding 3 accessories you can change your entire look.  Showing how 3 different wardrobe styles can wear the same accessory. 

Celeb Style - Showing you how the celebs are wearing and styling accessories and how to get them. 

What about you? Have you noticed any certain advice or tips that have really helped keep you organized and successful? Any blogs you follow that seem to have it down?  One of my good friends Trina McNeilly author of LaLa Lovely was recently interviewed as a "mom who blogs" for All Parenting .  She has curated a unique voice, filled with wonderful photos, inspiration and interesting ways to design and style your home.  This is great read if you are a lifestyle blogger or writer or just want to know how she manages it all with 4 littles of her own! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment