The Perfect Family Christmas Card Tuesday, November 6


Photo Credit: Jeff Anderson
1. Photography: 

With Christmas right around the corner, one of my most favorite things to do is style families for their "holiday" cards or those most important "family pictures." You know the ones, that you spend hours figuring out where to take them, the theme, what to wear, how to possibly coordinate getting everyone ready with the expectation that you (mom) have to look fantastic as well.  The dreaded day... is like preparing for the prom.  With 5 girls in my home, showering, drying and curling hair, putting on all the layers of tights and boots and keeping everyone from getting dirty before the shoot is like the a huge production, which by the end of, I am usually pouring sweat and hoping to just get one good picture out of it.  

Usually we "invest" in this experience and we should... the best way to capture your family as it grows is documenting with photography and when you get that "one" great shot, it all becomes worth it. Finding a good photographer is the first step and if your in the Chicago area, I really enjoy working with Jeff Anderson .  Once you get that nailed down next on the list... "what to wear." We rush around buying new clothes, hair bows, shoes, jackets, the perfect shirt for dad oh and what about us, we can't wear the same sweater that we did in last years picture... right?  

2. Styling 

I started styling for photography when friend and photographer Jeff Anderson asked if I could help with a senior portrait he was shooting. He knew I had a sense of style and could do her hair and make-up so it just made sense. I think we were both kind of shocked at how well it turned out and the value of collaboration. So for the last few years, we have partnered up on dozens of projects from, commercial look books to modeling portfolios, to family and senior portraits. Here is what Jeff wrote about our partnership:

"As a photographer, one thing I have found very beneficial to my photo shoots is the ability and value of working with other creative people. Most people don’t realize that getting great pictures isn’t just about nice camera equipment and rock star photographers (which I’m not quite there yet but perhaps someday will) but it’s a collaborative effort with everyone involved. I have never given enough credit to those that have really helped me make my photography good. My job as a photographer wouldn’t be nearly as easy if I didn’t have these people working with me on my shoots.
One person in particular that I would like to thank is Ahndea May with @AhndeaMayStyling. Styling wardrobes for senior and family portraits has made a world of difference in my photography and with the overall outcome of the portrait. I would highly recommend that you would consider using Ahndea to put together a look for your portraits which can also include her line of vintage accessories she designs and creates. If you’re a photographer in the area and you want your work to stand out, I also suggest that you work with Ahndea. Be sure to visit her page and check out some of the things she is working on. If nothing else, check out the fashion trends that she stays up to date with and shares with us on her page."

"Family Style Board" 

When using a stylist, this is an example of what you receive and the value of it. I have been styling clients via, skype, email, text and in person. The goal, is to use what you currently have in your closet, help you determine if your missing anything, take the guess work and stress out of your experience and in the end produce a fantastic photo with color and the right amount of pattern and texture. Your not boring.... so don't express yourself as boring with an "all black" or "all denim" photo. In the end, you will save money and time and it's worth it. Contact me for details. 

Family Picture Style Board


3. Christmas Cards 

Finally, after you capture that perfect photo, it is then time to select your Christmas Card, which can also be a very stressful thing.  Let me help you with that, simply upload and order a fantastical card like this, taken by James&Kate, styled by Ahndea May (me) and designed by Lindsay Letters.  Order this or several other "Gilded Greeting" options at her new shop. Shop Now







0 comments:

Post a Comment