Good Friday Friday, March 29


It's Friday... not just any happy  Friday but Good Friday. Are you familiar? Some believe it was originally called God's Friday. In Germany Christians call it "Quiet Friday." In Europe it is "Holy Friday" or "Great Friday." A day recalled in Luke 23 when Jesus called out to God and said "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." The ultimate sacrifice of Jesus Christ for the sins of all the people. A day of mourning and sorrow and a day of gratitude and reverence for the incomprehensible act of love.  

It would seem dismissive to not stop and give thought to this day.  Some choose to hold services sitting in total darkness, left only with the silence of their mind. Reflecting on life, the choices we have made, if we have peace with ourselves and the Lord. A sense of reverence this world doesn't allow for much these days. Giving a holy respect to the reality of our sin, sin enough to merit a life, a life given freely for us that we may have an eternity of peace with our Lord.  

So what does Good Friday mean to your family? Do you have any traditions you enjoy on this day and leading up to Easter?  I think there is something very important about tradition and teaching your children the purpose of respect and reverence. You have to be more intentional if your faith does not lead you to specific ritual or routine. I know I have struggled here. I can appreciate and learn from other types of faith that truly live in continued prayer and sentiment. It is easy to look at my relationship with Christ as a relationship, which it is, but sometimes without the holy respect and reverence I think is just as important as my personal relationship. 

My daughter received a little prayer box yesterday from her auntie and I simply love it. Such a wonderful way to help teach your children that when things get tough or worries fill their minds, you can simply write down your prayers and leave them to God to carry. It has small little notes inside and a little pencil. Sometimes it is hard to teach prayer or what that means and how God hears us, the prayer box is a wonderful beginning. Francescas is where we got this little gem, I don't see any on their website but I'm sure you can call and order it. 

 



0 comments:

Post a Comment