Create A Faux Mantle With Barn Wood Wednesday, December 19




Every year, I get out my Christmas decor and start trimming around the house being as creative as possible with what I already have. One of my most favorite places to decorate is the mantle. Usually a focal point in the house. Well to my dismay, I had totally forgotten the argument Mr. May and I had over putting the TV over the fireplace and of course Mrs. May won which meant my mantle was now a TV and not a place for me to put garland and artwork and such. I was sad for a day and then remembered a wise friends words "just make a faux mantle" as if it were a no brainer!  And so I was off, trying to figure out with what and how and where would I put this new fantastic mantle. I recently had the opportunity of doing a pop up shop with Heritage Beam And Board  a family owned business who specialize in taking historic barn wood and repurposing it into beautiful new creations.  Of course we instantly connected, since I am all about repurposing old with new!  Adam found me the perfect 4x6 beam that would now be the focal point for my holiday decor.  A focal point that will come with us every move, I might add. Now to find the spot... I chose our dinning room, because I already have a distressed pine table and buffet and I thought the natural tones would accent well. Here is the wall before. 

Wall cleared...


Got my beam ready... 

Bought 2 L brackets and screws for all of $6
And then... the drill! I would not consider myself handy but I am willing to do what is necessary for pretty things on my wall! 
Only messing up one time, I then began to add my decor layer by layer

The garland is from a wonderful old fashioned tree farm near our house Natures Best. With raw honey, 7 types of trees, garland, and simply stunning arrangements, I had such fun working with the Kiene's on a few designs for our home.
 Made some yarn and burlap tree decor pieces I will post about later. 
Of course the star of the show is my fantastic "Oh Holy Night" canvas by none other than Lindsay Letters



0 comments:

Post a Comment